This morning I took Brady on a donut date while Andy kept Luke and Jolee at home. The date was Brady's reward for doing the right thing even when no one was watching.
Yesterday I packed Brady a cold lunch...and when I took him to the bus stop I told him that I had put a treat in his lunch, but that he should not eat the treat until he ate the rest of his lunch. When I picked him up after lunch the treat was still in his lunch box along with a few raisins. He finished off the raisins and asked if he could then have his treat. I made a big deal about him saving them and obeying even when I wasn't there to see. He said, "Well, I thought to myself, I could just eat these first and mommy wouldn't know, but I didn't do it." :) :) :) So, he earned a donut date before school. The date was lots of fun as just the two of us sat and talked and laughed. He picked a turnover and as he started to eat it he said, "But mom, I need to eat some real food too, not just this." This made me laugh...he is my healthy eater. So we ordered some eggs to go with our sugary breakfast :)
The other day Brady came home from school and told me he really wanted to make a card and give a present to a girl in his class. My eyebrows raised and I was immediately on the defensive...so I quizzed him about why he wanted to do this, and we talked about how we do not have girlfriends, just friends...
He was pretty much irritated with me...."Come on mom, I know that. There are no boyfriends or girlfriends in kindergarten. Just friends."
And then he started to tell me how at school they had to tell everyone what their favorite thing was that they got for Christmas. Well, apparently he was convinced that this particular girl did not get very much for Christmas and he really wanted to give her a present. I was still skeptical, but his motives seemed very innocent and kind, so I went with it. He proceeded to make a card for her, and then searched the house for something a girl would like. He came up empty. He was frustrated that we only had toys that boys would like. :) So I came up with the idea of making a yarn doll and we worked on it together. The next day he gave it to her. I asked him how it went and he was so excited as he related the story. I could tell it made him feel really good and we talked about how good it feels to do something for someone...and how it makes them feel good too. I was so proud of him, and thankful for his sweet sensitive spirit...and just a bit on edge for when he does want to have a girlfriend!
Friday, January 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment